Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Article # 176. Diet Chart for New Year 2013
Meal 1: (Day startup meal) 6.30 AM – In empty stomach (Almonds – 2, Walnuts – 2, Fig – 1, Raisins – 4 to 5, Apricot – 1 to 2, Cashew – 1, Dates – 1, Pistachios - 2) make it Handful . (Nuts are one of the best plant sources of protein. They are rich in fiber, phytonutrients and antioxidants such as Vitamin E and selenium) It contains omega 3 - the good fats.
Note 1: If you work out in the morning try to take any of the flakes (corn, wheat, bran, muesli) mixed with the cup of skimmed milk) and try to take 3 to 4 or more boiled eggs removing yellow (fat) and have only white sprinkling a bit of black pepper before you go to work out.
Drink at least ½ liter to 1 liter of water in the morning with the empty stomach.
Meal 2: (Secondary Meal) – Will be helpful to accelerate your metabolism) 7.30 AM – Take one fruit of your choice – Apple is most recommended fruit to have in morning
Meal 3: (Breakfast) – Very important meal for the day) 8.30 AM - Healthy Cereals like Porridge / Bran / Corn / Wheat / Muesli / Whole Grain Cranberry Instant Oatmeal / Kashi go lean / whole grain pasta / MULTI grain or brown bread -veg sandwich (cucumber, tomato, onion, salad leaves) – You can choose any one of the cereals daily and make it seven days each of your choice. Along with skimmed milk and any one of the greens include in your breakfast and 2 egg whites without yolk or egg white omelet with olive oil sprayed.
Meal 4: (Elevenses 1) 10.30 AM – Cup of Green tea with sugar free or without sugar (It taste bitter without sugar but it’s good to avoid sugar as much as you can)
Note 2:- Make sure you are drinking water on regular intervals, at least 250 ml every half hour. Make your body hydrated and keep your metabolism active.
Meal 5: (Elevenses 2) 11.30 to 11.45 - Fruits small bowl, option (apple, papaya, orange, grapes, berries, kiwi, pomegranate, water melon) any three or green salads (Cucumber, Carrot, Tomato, Onion) or steamed vegetables bowl. Choose any of these alternative days.
Meal 6: (Lunch) 1.00 PM – Soup of your choice – Lentil / Plantain / Mixed Vegetables / Broccoli / Spinach / Lamb leg (Attukal) / Split pea soup / Crab soup. Try to make a choice a day.
Main course: One chapatti & one bowl of brown rice with any of the curry like Bitter guard (Sambar), mixed vegetables, Bhindhi (Vendakkai / Ladies finger), Drumstick and brinjol, chicken breast, fish, mushroom, broccoli. Choose any one daily of your choice.
Side dish: Cup of any of the Vegetables with less fried in olive oil / Chicken grilled / Fish boiled with light cooked / Egg white omelets / Tofu / Soy beans / Chick peas / Sprouts.
Note 3: Consume foods with less salt and try to make the food cooked in olive oil. Consume curd one or two times a week with less quantity. Strictly avoid Papads (appalam), pickles, butter, sweets, custards and any high refined or processed foods during your lunch or during any meal for that matter. Drink water before half an hour and after fifteen minutes to half hour post lunch. Don’t take banana after lunch as it has got high calorie, try to take it as snack meal but not daily, 2 to 3 days in a week.
Meal 7: (Afternoon tea) 3.00 PM – Cup of Green tea with sugar free of without sugar (It taste bitter without sugar but it’s good to avoid sugar as much as you can, or try to take minimum quantity of sugar)
Meal 8: 5.00 PM – Flax seeds / Sesame seeds with dry dates / Yogurt (Skimmed) or in water. Chest nuts – 2 to 3 / Brazil nuts – 2 to 3. Bermuda grass juice (Arugampul) /Wheat grass juice. Crackers / Corn / Whole wheat bread sandwich / Sprouts / Veg salads / one banana. Make any one of your choice along with the seeds mentioned above. (Brazil nuts and chest nuts can be consumed weekly thrice or four)
Meal 9: 6.30 to 7.00 PM (High Tea) – Dark chocolate – 2 pieces & Small cup of green tea / One slice of brown bread with date syrup or honey & one spoon of flax seed oil / 2 to 3 egg white raw or boiled & honey / Dates, Almonds, walnuts with honey / Amla – 2 to 3 soked in honey / Multi grain bread slice with pea nut butter / Whole wheat bread slice with cottage cheese. Citrus fruit like orange juice without sugar along with 2 piece of dark chocolate. Avocado juice (Butter fruit) as an option. Choose any of these above with green tea and dark chocolate. Try to take a spoon of Honey and date syrup.
Note 4: If you work out during the evening then make sure before you start, you are done with 3 to 4 egg whites along with a slice of wheat bread honey spread to keep your energy level high during your work outs. You can take one medium size banana post work to maintain your carbohydrate level. Try to take fluids as much during your work out as well pre and post. Don’t get dehydrated at any point of time.
Meal 10: 8 to 8.30 PM (Dinner) - 3 pcs steamed or roasted chicken or fish + salad (If you prefer non vegetarian) / 1 bran chapatti and 1 bowl vegetable / A small plate of salad before starting the meal. 1 bran chappati with 1 k vegetable (any vegetable not rajmah, channa or kadhi) / Full of greens with 2 chappathi / Whole wheat bread with honey sliced or dates syrup with pomegranate / Chappathi with sprouts and pomegranate / 2 Chapatti with grilled chicken. Make any one of your choice.
Note 5: Try to cut down the carbs during the end of the day. Take more soluble fiber foods that are low in cholesterol or no cholesterol food. Don’t take banana during the night.
Meal 11: (Supper) before you go to sleep take one cup of Skimmed milk without sugar or sugar free. 2 slice of Papaya.
Note 6: You can also choose the following foods and can try to add in many of your meal or an optional based on your feasibility, Prunes, Avocado, Cranberries, Pears, Guava, Black berries, Blue berries, Pecans & Citrus.
Some important pointers:
· Once A Week Cheat Meal (Have a cheat day): Another way is to introduce a cheat meal in the diet. For those of you that constantly crave a specific forbidden food, this may be a good way to satisfy the craving and also accomplish the goal of increasing the metabolism. Therefore, still use common sense and self-control in order to make your cheat meal work (Don’t over eat, still have a control on your cheat day) This can include the main course of a meal or the addition of a dessert--but probably shouldn't include both, unless the dessert is a healthy one. That means if pizza, hamburgers, bread, cake, cookies, ice cream or anything else has been banned from your diet, you can have one of them at one meal or snack time on the same day each week.
· This diet will work excellent if you are following at least 30 minutes exercise daily. Undertaking regular jogging increases the life expectancy of men by 6.2 years and women by 5.6 years. Please keep your health active and avoid sedentary stages. Do not over eat at any point of time, excess calories will be stored as fat throughout your body.
· When you go out try to have your lunch or dinner at subway. The healthiest option out there. Take a veggie delite sub in brown bread and eating out won’t harm your diet and weight at all. Tell them not to put mayo in it though.
· If you don’t have a say in the place of eating then make your choices sensibly. If you go to eat Chinese have rice rather than noodles. Order stir fried veggies instead of Manchurian. And control your proportions. Don’t take fried starters. Avoid those thick soups they are no good.
· When going out just pick 2 fruits before getting started and eat it on your way to the venue (if you go by four wheeler). When you are already a little filled before going out. Your somewhat filled stomach helps your mind take the right decision.
· If eating Indian, order tandoori chappati rather than butter naan or paratha. Take less gravy since it is the most fattening.
· When you choose chicken, choose chicken breast as it is the leanest part of chicken. Chicken breast can help burn fat and build muscle. Its also called ‘white meat’- which is the lean part of chicken.
· Try to take Fish two days a week as it has got lot of omega 3 fatty acids which is good for your heart. Omega-3 fatty acids may decrease triglycerides, lower blood pressure, reduce blood clotting, boost immunity and improve arthritis symptoms, and in children may improve learning ability.
· Even if you don’t want to lose weight keep these points in your mind and you will be able to maintain your weight easily. Don’t smoke or consume alcohol or chewing tobacco is injurious and you will lose your life and dignity. Stay healthy for active life and good future.
· Strictly avoid Junk foods, processed & high refined carb. Try to limit even on your cheat day once a week.
Disclaimer: Always consult your physician before beginning any exercise program or diet changes. This general information is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your healthcare professional. Consult with your healthcare professional to design an appropriate exercise prescription. If you experience any difficulties in following the diet stop and consult your healthcare provider.